October 31, 2005 • 11:26 PM

Apple Fixes Mail, Annoys Author

In late September, I mentioned that I’d no sooner finished a draft of an ebook about .Mac than Apple went and changed the service, updated their Backup utility, and generally wreaked havoc on my schedule by forcing me to spend days rewriting. Specifically, they fixed a number of issues I’d complained about, so I had to take out my complaints and even add a compliment or two.

Incredibly, that’s just happened again. Today, while I was in the process of reviewing my editor’s first round of corrections to my forthcoming Take Control of Apple Mail in Tiger, Apple released Mac OS X 10.4.3. This update includes about a dozen changes to Mail, which will cost me a morning of experimentation and rewrites. And yes, in all probability, the deletion of a few gripes. I hate it when they do that.

One thing I noticed right away after applying the update is that my rules no longer worked—at all. After a few panicked minutes of tests, I found the source of the problem: the MailTags plug-in, which enables you to add Spotlight-searchable metadata to your messages. Disabling the plug-in resolves the problem. I reported this to the developer, and hope that an update will be forthcoming. (Update: Just a few hours after my initial post, MailTags 1.1 was released; it fixes this problem and adds a long list of new features. Excellent.)

I will say this, though: When this new ebook comes out in a couple of weeks, it will be shockingly up-to-date!

Comments

1. Tim Gaden
    November 1st, 2005 | 10:46 am

Good news on the MailTags front. The current beta of the soon-to-be-released update is working fine.

2. Tim Gaden
    November 1st, 2005 | 10:46 am

Good news on the MailTags front. The current beta of the soon-to-be-relased update is working fine.

3. November 1st, 2005 | 2:46 am

4. November 1st, 2005 | 2:46 am

5. November 1st, 2005 | 3:26 am

[…] But there’s a downside too. Joe Kissell suffers the most; he has to rewrite slabs of his upcoming Take Control of Apple Mail in Tiger book. […]

6. December 15th, 2005 | 11:17 am

[…] I had my first serious conversation about writing this ebook with Adam Engst (publisher) and Dan Frakes (editor) back in January, at Macworld Expo. Back then, it seemed like a fairly easy and straightforward project, and I expected it would be out by mid-year at the latest. And then, of course, things happened—such as the other new and updated ebooks I’d committed to write, a long list of Macworld articles, and countless other tasks that took much longer than I expected. Plus, right after I finished the first draft of book, back in September, Apple made some significant changes to .Mac, forcing me to redo a sizable portion of the ebook before my editor even had a look at it. […]