July 11, 2006 • 12:18 PM

Backups and Thanksgiving Dinner

For a couple of months, I’ve been on the cusp of producing an update to Take Control of Mac OS X Backups. I updated the manuscript quite some time ago to cover things like using USB 2.0 drives with Intel Macs and backing up Windows data from Boot Camp or Parallels Desktop, but then, every time I thought we were just about ready to publish, some backup app or another got a significant update, and I’d have to go in and rearrange things again. There are just so many backup programs, and they’re in such a constant state of flux, that it’s difficult to keep up with them all—even in an ebook. But we’ve finally drawn the line and finished version 1.3; it should be available later today as a free update.

This latest version of Backups, along with Take Control of Maintaining Your Mac, will (with some modifications) be rolled into a new print book from Peachpit: Real World Mac Maintenance and Backups, due on bookstore shelves in late September or early October.

Meanwhile, even though it’s only July, my attention has been focused on turkey, stuffing, mashed potatoes, and cranberry sauce—I’m working on my next Take Control ebook, which (no kidding) will be about Thanksgiving. This fall, nothing will be left to chance, as you’ll be able to follow my simple instructions for a delicious yet stress-free Thanksgiving dinner. It’s our first foray into a food-related topic; if it’s successful, there may be more, but we’re mainly doing it for fun.

And does this have anything to do with backups? Yes indeed. Just as things can go wrong with your computer, they can (and do) go wrong when cooking. So the Thanksgiving ebook will feature a number of troubleshooting, backup, and shortcut tips to enable you to salvage the meal if something doesn’t turn out right.

Update (7/13/06): The updated version of Backups came out today—a bit later than I’d expected, but I’m delighted to report that it’s finally available.

Comments

1. Eric Hortop
    July 11th, 2006 | 7:59 pm

Two questions re: Thanksgiving:

i) will Canadian customers get a stab at applying it this year, or is the launch timed for USian Thanksgiving? ii) how much will be applicable to vegetarians, or (better yet) cooking for a mixed veggie/not-veggie crowd?

2. Eric Hortop
    July 11th, 2006 | 12:59 pm

Two questions re: Thanksgiving:

3. July 20th, 2006 | 6:03 am

Eric: The ebook should be out in early-to-mid September, well in advance of the Canadian Thanksgiving. My wife’s Canadian and I lived in Canada for a few years, so we generally celebrate (in at least a small way) on both dates. (And incidentally, I’m including metric equivalents where appropriate too.)

Conveniently, several of the standard Thanksgiving dishes are already vegetarian (mashed potatoes, candied sweet potatoes, cranberry sauce, pumpkin pie). Stuffing can be made vegetarian (and I point out how to do that for those interested). Roasted turkey and turkey gravy are out, of course, but there’s an appendix featuring an alternative, vegetarian main dish, which you can make either instead of or in addition to the turkey.

4. July 19th, 2006 | 11:03 pm

5. August 9th, 2006 | 2:10 am

[…] For about a year, Morgen and I have been planning to launch several new Web sites to keep Interesting Thing of the Day company. It’s not like we’ve been working on them full-time for months or anything, but we’ve been plugging away as time permits, in between roasting turkeys, writing ebooks, and doing all the usual work that keeps us occupied most of the day. Today, we finally crossed that magical threshold of doneness with the first of these sites, and we couldn’t be happier. It’s called SenseList. […]

6. April 13th, 2013 | 2:53 pm

[…] full-time for months or anything, but we’ve been plugging away as time permits, in between roasting turkeys, writing ebooks, and doing all the usual work that keeps us occupied most of the day. Today, we […]