July 7, 2007 • 4:15 PM

All’s Well in Paris

Well, we did it: Morgen and I (and our cat, Zora, too) have moved to Paris! We arrived on Monday, and we’re settling in without any serious difficulties. We’ve even managed to stock our shelves with groceries, set up a bank account, make an appointment at the local Préfecture de Police to apply for our long-term residence cards, and cross a number of other aggravating little tasks off our lists. Oh, and sleep: we’ve been doing a lot of that, too. The combination of jet lag and sleep debt have been truly brutal, but our body clocks have nearly readjusted, so we’re feeling a lot peppier than we were a few days ago.

The new image at the top of the page (just a placeholder until I come up with something more interesting) was snapped from our bathroom window (OK, with a long zoom, but still…). Our apartment is on the top floor of the tallest building in the neighborhood, and we can see Sacré Coeur, the Eiffel Tower, the Montparnasse Tower, and all kinds of other cool sites from the comfort of our home. Yes, I know: we suck. (Also, needless to say, we’re within spitting distance of countless bakeries, chocolatiers, cafés, bistros, brasseries, and all other manner of French food purveyors. Oh yeah.)

It’s a relief to finally be (more or less) done with this huge project. The last couple of months, and in particular the few weeks leading up to the move, were some of the busiest and most stressful of my life, and that’s saying something. Contrary to my earlier expectations, I wasn’t able to get caught up with very much of anything before we left; in fact, I fell much further behind on almost everything. Especially email—I can’t remember the last time I had so many unanswered messages. But now, life is slowly returning to some new-and-improved version of normal, my Inbox is emptying out, and I’m looking forward to doing some significant writing (and photo-taking) in the very near future.

Next week there’ll be an update to Take Control of Running Windows on a Mac, and with any luck, new content will soon begin appearing on Interesting Thing of the Day, SenseList, and perhaps even The Geeky Gourmet too! We’ll also, as soon as we possibly can, be starting a new blog exclusively about our adventure in France. Stay tuned!

Comments

1. Tom Zähner
    July 7th, 2007 | 8:32 pm

Hi Joe & Morgen welcome to Europe :-) I whish both of you a good start in Paris and hope to see you any time soon again. Until then, best whishes Tom

2. Tom Zähner
    July 7th, 2007 | 10:32 pm

3. Allen Watson
    July 10th, 2007 | 9:32 am

Great! You obviously have an Internet connection, so I’ve sent you an e-mail message about testing out an iChat link between Paris and Portland in preparation for your “appearance” at the Portland Mac User Group next month.

What a terrific view! I’m jealous, being a lover of Paris myself (spent a year in France back in 1960-1961, several visits since then, and last a week in Paris in 2004).

4. Allen Watson
    July 10th, 2007 | 11:32 am

5. July 12th, 2007 | 5:54 pm

Wow, I’m going to have to read that Windows / Mac book. Parallels drives me bonkers. I can’t hook up any USB devices and it runs about as slow as a turtle dragging an anchor. Congrats on your major life change.

6. July 12th, 2007 | 7:54 pm

7. July 12th, 2007 | 6:06 pm

Kristen:

Send me a note with details of your system configuration and what version of Parallels you’re using. I may be able to help, or if not, I can put you in touch with someone who can.

Joe

8. July 12th, 2007 | 8:06 pm

Kristen:

Joe

9. Laurie
    July 15th, 2007 | 3:32 am

Yes, yes you do suck. :P ;) I was wondering why we were seeing archived stuff on ITOD — glad it’s for such a cool reason! Haven’t visited Paris yet — heck, haven’t gotten off the North American continent, yet — but would love to some day. I’ll have to check in here once in a while to see how it’s going.

10. Laurie
    July 15th, 2007 | 5:32 am

11. July 15th, 2007 | 8:45 am

Laurie: You’ll see a new article on Interesting Thing of the Day tomorrow (and yet another new one on Wednesday). Lots more stuff on its way!

12. July 15th, 2007 | 10:45 am

13. July 19th, 2007 | 7:57 am

Hi Guys. Welcome to Europe. I’m Greek, but I as a citizen of this old big continent I welcome you. Best wishes George

14. July 19th, 2007 | 9:57 am

15. July 19th, 2007 | 8:02 am

George: Thanks kindly! Nice to be here.

16. July 19th, 2007 | 10:02 am

George: Thanks kindly! Nice to be here.

17. Mark Bingley
    July 20th, 2007 | 12:46 pm

Having read a lot of your ITOD i was very happy to hear that you are finally going to get some quality time in one of your most favorite places.

I hope it lives up to its expectations, and look forward to reading your France Blog in the future.

Best of luck with everything, and welcome to Europe.

Dont forget to drop in on England whilst you’re so close…..!

18. Mark Bingley
    July 20th, 2007 | 2:46 pm

Best of luck with everything, and welcome to Europe.

Dont forget to drop in on England whilst you’re so close…..!

19. July 20th, 2007 | 12:55 pm

Mark: Thanks so much! Visits to England are definitely planned for the future.

20. July 20th, 2007 | 2:55 pm

Mark: Thanks so much! Visits to England are definitely planned for the future.

21. Mike Lehmann
    July 24th, 2007 | 11:51 am

Hi Joe & Morgen

Welcome to Europe. Enjoy the life in Paris, the cuisine and everything …

Greetings from Berne

Mike

22. Mike Lehmann
    July 24th, 2007 | 1:51 pm

Hi Joe & Morgen

Welcome to Europe. Enjoy the life in Paris, the cuisine and everything …

Greetings from Berne